Saturday, May 16, 2009

What God has made clean...

Last night, Curtis led our Friday night Rhythm gathering (weekly dinner/worship/prayer together). I got to lend a hand in both the planning and the leading of an awesome evening exploring how God can move and work in unexpected places, based on the story of Cornelius' conversion in Acts 10. We included the kids in a spontaneous dramatic reading of the story, then explored dance, art, and poetry as places we might find God. The evening concluded with everyone collaborating to write a responsive sort of poem/prayer. Chris posted about it here on our community blog, so I'll link instead of re-posting the text. Go check it out... it was an awesome collaborative effort responding to God about our evening!

One of the things I'm most passionate about is finding glimpses of God in the arts, so last night's worship and subsequent conversations were awesome. Coming off a week where I got to lead a book discussion on Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible (finally incorporating some fiction into our NC book discussions!), and am looking ahead to more movie and book discussions with my "Art of Soul" group, I'm pretty fired up right now about the intersection of my love for the arts with ministry and worship. Good stuff.

Art is the lie that makes us realize the truth.
—Pablo Picasso

No comments: